Immigration to the United States
This information focuses on families that immigrated to two key locations: Haverhill, Essex, MA and California.
Immigration to Haverhill
Sullivan emigration from Brosna
In the 1880s, Johanna Sullivan, born in Knegare, Brosna, Co. Kerry, immigrated to Massachusetts. She had an uncle--his name is unknown to me--living in Charlestown, MA, but I don't know if there were other relatives living in the Haverhill area. She married James Gaquin in Lawrence, Essex, MA in 1887. Her sister, Margaret, immigrated to Haverhill in 1896 (and migrated to California around 1919). Their nieces, Julia and Catherine Cash, immigrated to Haverhill in the early 1900s.
Callahan emigration from Kilcorney
In the 1880s, Timothy Callahan and his wife Elizabeth Sullivan immigrated to Haverhill, Essex, MA. Several of their children immigrated also. Their son Michael, born in 1872, may also have immigrated. John , their eldest son, stayed behind in Ireland on the land in Knockgorm, Kilcorney, Co. Cork. 1892 Haverhill death record for Timothy identifies his parents as John and Mary.
- Mary T. Callahan. Born 1858 in Co. Cork, Ireland. Married John S. Howard (son of Michael Howard and Margaret Corkery) on November 27, 1884 in Haverhill, MA. Died December 18, 1926 in Haverhill, MA.
- Jeremiah Callahan. Born about 1863 in Co. Cork, Ireland. Married Margaret Cronin on August 11, 1896 in Haverhill, MA. Died March 27, 1943 in Haverhill, MA.
- Catherine Callahan. Born November 9, 1865 in Co. Cork, Ireland. Married Timothy O'Connell on April 20, 1893 in Haverhill, MA. Died May 11, 1938 in Haverhill, MA.
- Elizabeth Callahan. Born April 25, 1868 in Co. Cork, Ireland. Married Ora J. French on July 9, 1902 in Haverhill, MA. Died October 31, 1945 in Haverhill, MA.
- Julia Callahan. Born April 25, 1868 in Co. Cork, Ireland. Married Denis Mahoney on August 5, 1915 in Groveland, Essex, MA. Died October 9, 1946 in Haverhill, MA.
- Margaret Callahan. Born January 25, 1870 in Knockgorm, Kilcorney, Co. Cork, Ireland. Married Michael Melody on July 1, 1895 in Haverhill, MA. Died July 13, 1942 in Haverhill, MA.
The following obituary appeared in the Haverhill Gazette on Wednesday, July 27, 1892:
Timothy Callahan His Funeral From St. James Church This Morning.
The last sad rights [sic] over the remains of the late Timothy Callahan were solemized [sic] at 8:30 o'clock this morning at St. James church. Solemn high mass was said by Rev. Fr. Graham.
There was a large attendance, including relatives and friends. The deceased was a native of Millstreet, County Cork, Ireland, and had been a resident here at No. 11 Maple street for the past three years. He had been in the employ of the city and was regarded as an industrious citizen and made many friends among those with whom he had associated.
The floral tribute were [sic] many and beautiful, the most noticeable being a cross with the inscription "Father" from the daughters. The pall bearers were four nephews of the deceased, Timothy, John G., Daniel and Dennis, and John T. Callaghan and Jeremiah Dennehy. The interment was in the St. James cemetery.
The nephews mentioned, Timothy, John, Daniel, and Dennis, were the sons of John Callahan and Mary Nagle, who married May 10, 1853 in Rathmore, Kerry, Ireland, and lived in Doocarig, Gortderrig, Co. Cork.
- Timothy J. Callahan. Born November 4, 1853 in Ireland. Married Annie Howard. Died December 20, 1903 in Haverhill, Essex, MA.
- Patrick Callahan. Born March 17, 1856 in Gortderrig, Co. Kerry. Married Elizabeth Ahern on July 10,1888 in Ohio. Died December 18, 1937 in Akron, Summit, OH.
- John Callahan. Born 1858 in Ireland.
- Julia Callahan. Born 1862 in Ireland.
- Daniel Callahan. Born 1861 in Ireland. Married Margaret Toomey on March 2, 1897 in Haverhill, Essex, MA. Died March 10, 1914 in Lawrence, Essex, MA.
- Cornelius Callahan. Born 1864 in Ireland.
- Mary Callahan. Born March 16, 1865 in Ireland. Married to Michael J. Murphy. Died July 18, 1940 in Cleveland, Cuyahoga, OH.
- Catherine Callahan. Born 1866.
- Jeremiah Callahan. Born 1867.
- Dennis Callahan. Born March 25, 1869 in Ireland. Married to Bessie Bresnahan on February 2, 1892 in Haverhill, Essex, MA. Died August 26, 1931 in Haverhill, Essex, MA.
The following obituary for Catherine Sullivan appeared in the Haverhill Gazette on Friday, July 6, 1900:
Mrs. Catherine Callahan, widow of the late Timothy Callahan, died at 4:30 this morning at her home, 43 Sheridan Street, at the age of 57. She has been an invalid for several months past, but her condition has not been of late regarded as serious and her demise is a painful shock to her relatives and friends. She leaves five daughters and one son--Mrs. Michael Melody, Mrs. Timothy O'Connell, Mrs. John Howard, Miss Julia Callahan, Miss Bessie Callahan and Jeremiah Callahan. Besides these, she leaves several grandchildren. She had been a resident of this city for many years, and had made many friends here by whom her death is greatly regretted, depriving them of a valued associate. The funeral will be held from St. James' church at 7:30 Monday.
Catherine Sullivan's 1900 Haverhill death records identify her parents as Jeremiah Sullivan and Mary Reardon.