My ancestor, William Cash (1807-1880), was born in or near Frankford (now Kilcormac), Ballyboy parish, in 1807. At the age of 20 he joined the 75th Regiment of Foot (originally a Scottish Highland infantry regiment), which was stationed at the time in nearby Birr. He served in the 75th Foot from 1827 to 1848. He spent 13 years at the Cape of Good Hope during the 1830s and early 1840s, and he received the 1853 South Africa Medal along with the rest of his regiment. In his last few years of service, he performed guard duty at Pendennis Castle, near Falmouth, England. Upon retiring, he received a pension of one shilling per day. In February 1850 he moved from Dublin to Co. Monaghan. He soon married Catherine McConnon (about 1821-1894), whose family was living in Togan (a townland), Threemilehouse, Co. Monaghan. There they raised their family on a piece of a land that was about 5 acres, just down the lane from the McConnons. Descendants of this family live in Ireland, Northern Ireland, England, the United States, and no doubt in other countries. In the 20th century some members of this Cash family immigrated to Haverhill, Massachusetts.
The known children of William Cash and Catherine McConnon were:
- Catherine Cash. Born after 1850. Married Peter McGuire of Brandrum, Co. Monaghan. Died before 1901.
- John Cash. Born about 1853. Married Margaret McEneaney in 1887. Died November 23, 1907 in Togan, Co. Monaghan.
- Margaret Cash. Born about 1857. Married James Gormley in 1876.
- William Cash. Born June 5, 1861. Married Elizabeth Sullivan of Brosna, Co. Kerry. Died September 18, 1926 in Cork, Co. Cork.
- Patrick Cash. Born March 10, 1864. Died August 10, 1866 in Co. Monaghan.
- Elizabeth Cash. Born about 1868. Married Joseph McEneaney. Died January 8, 1920 in Co. Monaghan.
This branch of the McConnon family was living in the townland of Togan, in the Threemilehouse, Co. Monaghan area by the 1700s. The McConnons are thought to have come from the Lisdoonan area near Carrickmacross, Co. Monaghan.
Francis McConnon was born before 1746 in Togan, Drumsnat, Co. Monaghan, and died about 1810 there. (This Francis may be the son of the Thomas McConnin who is buried in Drumsnat cemetery and whose gravestone gives his death date as March 10, 1781 and his age at death as 78.) Francis and his unknown wife had two sons that are known: Thomas McConnon (about 1778-about 1850) and John McConnon (about 1790-died July 31, 1865).
Known children of Thomas McConnon (about 1778-about 1850) are:
- Francis McConnon. Born about 1807. Married first Anne Whelan on December 10, 1838. Married second Mary Canaway (Conway) on September 17, 1846. Died November 4, 1872 in Togan.
- James McConnon. Born about 1819. Married Brigid O'Brien on January 29, 1855. Died March 27, 1883 in Togan.
- Margaret McConnon. Married James Whelan on June 17, 1840.
- Catherine McConnon. Born about 1821. Married William Cash on September 19, 1850. Died May 19, 1894 in Togan.
- Anne McConnon. Married Patrick Fitzsimons on July 10, 1845.
Known children of John McConnon (about 1790-died July 31, 1865) and Catherine McMahon are:
- Rose McConnon. Born about 1829. Died August 28, 1889.
- Francis McConnon. Born about 1841. Married Rose Greenan. Died August 9, 1917.
Note: There is a DVD called A Heritage Trail of Kilmore & Drumsnat, which is about the Monaghan parish in which Threemilehouse and Togan are located. Also see Father Gerard McGreevy's Togan: a Townland and a Family (Castle Printing, 2009).
Send mail to billcash(at)mindspring.com with questions or comments about this website or to provide information. Bill Cash currently lives in Pennsylvania.Copyright © 2003-2015 The Cash-McConnon-Callahan-Sullivan-O'Connell Family Home Page Last modified: December 23, 2015.